Grade Change Request 20-21 School Year

Subject: Your Child’s Grades May Be Impacted: Important AB104 Bill Information

Dear iLEAD Online families,

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law, and we’d like to provide you with important information on how this legislation may relate to your learner. The bill contained several major provisions, but we’d like to highlight a significant one regarding grading for high school learners for the 2020-21 school year.


According to AB 104, parents of learners who were in high school in 2020-21 (or learners themselves, if they’ve turned 18) are permitted to request that letter grades for last school year be changed to Pass/No Pass on transcripts. The new law requires CSU, and encourages UC and private postsecondary institutions, to accept those grade designations without prejudice. Click here to see which institutions will accept for admission purposes a transcript with a Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for an applicant pursuant to Education Code Section 49066.5(b). (Please be aware that some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.)

How to Request a Grade Change

If you would like to request a grade change for your “eligible pupil,” please print, fill out, sign, and date the AB 104 Grade Change Request form and submit it to your child’s school site by email to Please note: All requests for grade changes must be received by August 15; late applications will not be accepted. Your request will be evaluated, and updated grade information will be communicated within 30 calendar days after your request is received.

Thank you,

Erin Jones